Barley Shrimp Salad With Avocado
This is one of my favorite salads. It is more of a spring or summer salad, but I love it so much, I can eat it any time of the year and just pretend that it is warm and sunny. I wish I had come up with it, but it is adapted from Healthy in a Hurry. I highly recommend this cookbook! I have made many of the recipes and they have all been delicious. The original recipes calls for raw diced onion, but since my taste buds don’t agree with raw onion, I have added rice vinegar to give som edge.
- 1 cup / 240 ml barley
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 20-24 cooked shrimp, chopped
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados
- Fresh cilantro to taste, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Use quick cooking barley and cook according to instructions.
- Fry bacon and set aside.
- When the barley is done, mix all ingredients incl. bacon.
- Mix olive oil, lime and rice vinegar. Dress, season and serve.
If you don’t have lime, use juice from 1/2 orange and 1 lemon. Try substituting cilantro with parsley. If you can’t find quick cooking barley, just use regular barley. It takes 1 hour and 10 min to cook, but you can cook the barley in advance and assemble the salad in minutes the next day.