I have had agua frescas in Mexico several times. It is the best natural thirst quencher. Fortunately our local farmers market has a stand with an amazing variety of agua frescas. By the end of the summer, we have usually tried them all. Agua fresca is very easy to make, if you have a blender and you can use almost any kind of fruits. You don’t have to add sweetener, but once in a while I like to add a little agave nectar. The recipe is adapted from Better Homes and Gardens magazine.
Special equipment: blender
- 4 cups / 1 liter of water
- 1/2 cantaloupe, medium sized
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml agave nectar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 lime cut in slices, optional
- Cut the peel off the halved cantaloupe and discard the peel.
- Cut the melon incl. the seeds into chunks and put in blender with the water.
- Blend for a couple of minutes, strain drink through a sieve, then discard the seed pieces.
- Add the lime juice and agave nectar and stir.
- Serve over ice cubes.
Makes 5 cups / 1.2 liter