I get so many compliments whenever I bring Challah to a social event. I’m almost embarrased to share with you what people tell me, because you will think I am making it up. Seriously. If you follow these steps, you will soon be receiving your own compliments. And I would love to hear from you when you do! The recipe is adapted from my time at Tante Marie’s cooking School in San Francisco. I always use my Kitchen Aid with the hook attachment to knead dough. You can knead the dough by hand as well, it will take a little longer.
- 1 cup / 240 ml water
- 1 tbsp instant yeast / 50 gr bakers yeast
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups / 675 gr flour
- 2 tsps salt
- 4 oz / 110 gr butter, softened
- 1 egg for glazing
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and add all the remaining ingredients.
- Knead with the dough hook for 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and pliable and comes off the sides of the bowl. If kneading by hand do so for about 10 min.
- Let the dough rise until doubled in size. About 1.5 hrs at room temperature or overnite in the fridge.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 4 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a log the length of your sheet pan. I use 1/2 sheet pan.
- Gently squeeze the ends together.
- Then start braiding by taking the log closest to you Under Over and Under the other logs.
- Repeat with the log now closest to you Under Over and Under.
- When you are done braiding, squeeze the ends together, cover with plastic wrap and let the challah rise until you see tiny pockets of air. About 1 hr, but it depends on the room temperature. See picture below.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/175C.
- Crack the egg in a small bowl and whisk well. Gently brush the challah with the egg glaze. Be careful not to deflate the bread.
- Bake for 40-45 min until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a wire rack.
How to braid with four strands:
7 thoughts on “Challah Bread”
Thank you, Ane 🙂
Best bread EVER 🙂 Så er der endnu et Challah bread på dagens program.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your positive feedback!! And to answer your question, sure I would certainly consider guest writers. Do you have anything specific in mind or a quick, healthy , tasty and easy dish you would like to share? You can reach me at email@example.com or simply reply to this comment. Looking forward to hearing from you.
PS I had to edit your comment slightly, some strange signs had sneaked in. Hope it appears as you wrote it.
My spouse and I absolutely adore your blog and locate nearly all of your posts to be exactly what we’re seeking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content material within your case? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on quite a few the subjects you write related to here. Again, awesome weblog!
Tak, Ane. Naar du tager den foerste bid, ved du, at det er indsatsen vaerd 🙂 Velbekomme…
Må fluks prøve den – ser mægtig lækker ud 🙂 Du fortjener hvert og et flaterende kompliment!