I have been neglecting my blog. I admit it. My focus has been elsewhere. First of all, I will be joining the workforce again after precious years of nurturing my offspring. I couldn’t be more thrilled. This job encompasses everything I have to offer from the not so straight path, I have travelled. You know the feeling when something is just right? I have that feeling about this job 🙂 My weekday cooking skills will be put to the test: fast, healthy and tasty meals – with a full time job. I have been building up my recipe base for this time – and for you guys who are already in that zone – and that won’t stop now.
I have also celebrated my daughters birthdays. In Denmark, a birthday party is not complete without homemade buns. There are numerous recipes out there, but this is a winner.
PS Next up my easy delish recipe, which has made it to the finals in the first ever Danish Championship in Weekday Cooking this fall.
- 3 1/2 oz / 100 gr butter
- 10 oz / 3 dl milk
- 1 3/4 oz / 50 gr sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast / 25 gr bakers yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 pound 7 oz / 650 gr all purpose flour
- Optional: Brush with 1 lightly whipped egg. Sprinkle with cinnamom sugar or chopped nuts.
- Warm the milk until lukewarm only, melt the butter and stir in the yeast.
- Add sugar, salt, cardamom and egg to the dough.
- Knead in the flour. Hold back a bit of it. You may use it all or a little more or less. It depends on the size of your eggs and the humidity in your kitchen.
- When the dough has come together and is smooth and pliable without sticking, then set aside to rest for about 1 hour or until double in size.
- Roll and shape the buns and let rest another 25 min on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper while the oven is preheating to 350F/180C.
- Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or chopped nuts, if you like.
- Bake for about 15 min or until golden.
Yields 25-30 buns
2 thoughts on “Birthday Buns”
They sure did. Thank you!
Happy birthday to Sophia and Nikoline.
Hope they had a great birthday!