This is a repost of my favorite bars. I made them yesterday and everyone loves them.
This recipe is for my friend M the Amazing. She has a thing with bars. During a visit to Los Angeles we made a stop at Wholefoods to stock up on bars. My friend had her basket filled to the max in a matter of minutes. Literally. A good moment for her. The cashier was not as content with the situation. Turns out he was a cool California dude, who hated bars with a passion. While he rang up each bar individually, he kept on rambling about, “This is my worst nightmare! I can’t stand bars! Why is this happening to me? What’s going on here? This is unreal! What’s wrong with you?!” It was hilarious. Maybe you should have been there 😉
Anyway snack bars in Denmark are not cheap like in the States. So here is a healthy, easy to make and super tasty homemade version for M the Amazing.
Active time: 15 min Bake time: 25 min
Special equipment: food processor
- 1 cup / 240 ml oats
- 1 cup / 240 ml walnuts
- 5 dates
- 1/2 cup /120 ml pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup /120 ml shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup /120 ml agave nectar or honey
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml almond butter
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml dried cherries
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, optional
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 330F/165C.
- Blend oats, walnuts and pistachio nuts in a food processor. Then transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- Add shredded coconut and mix it well. Set aside.
- Remove the pits from the dates, chop them into smaller bites. Add dates to food processor together with agave nectar, almond butter, lemon zest and salt. Blend well.
- Coarsely chop the dried cherries and combine everything in the medium sized bowl.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper. Divide the dough into 16-18 pieces and roll each into a bar, then put on the sheet pan. The dough is a little sticky, so you may want to rinse your hands in cold water once in a while.
- Bake app. 25 min. The bars are done when the edges are light golden.
- Cool on the sheet pan. Store in airtight container.
Yields 16-18 bars
Feel free to play with different nuts, dried fruits and spices.