REPOST from June 2012. Rhubarb season is here and this is good stuff.
So this month I am featured in a Danish Magazine called LIV. It’s not really about me though, it’s an insider guide to my Los Angeles. Lots of places you won’t find in the guide books. 3 full pages and it is a worthy read. I am very happy with the article. This dessert is a recipe from the very same June edition. I have tweeked the whip from eggy to cool by adding vanilla and mascarpone.
Rhubarb strawberry compote
- 1 pound / 450 gr fresh rhubarb
- A handful of sweet strawberries
- 3 oz / 75 gr cane sugar
- Wash, trim the ends and cut the rhubarbs into 1/2 inch / 1-2 cm slices.
- Put them in a small pot with the sugar. Stir well and let sit until the sugar has dissolved into juices about 20-30 minutes.
- Then bring to a boil and let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Cut the strawberries and add them the last minute.
- Cool completely before assembling the dessert.
A Cool Whip (not to be mistaken with cool whip)
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbsps cane sugar
- 1 tbsp mascarpone
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whip the whites and the sugar until firm peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract and the mascarpone cheese and whip until smooth.
Maple oat crunch (also a fantastic granola)
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 oz / 50 gr old fashioned oats
- 1 oz / 25 gr chopped nuts eg. almonds
- Heat maple syrup in a skillet and add oats and nuts.
- Stir continuously until the mixture is light golden in color.
- Pour on a plate and let cool completely. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
The final result: