We need citrus this time of the year and I love to use citrus in my food. In this broccoli salad I use both orange and lemon.
- 1 bunch of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 oranges
- 1 small shallot or onion, finely minced
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp roasted & salted sunflower seeds
- Start by frying the bacon and get some salted water boiling in a medium pot.
- Boil the broccoli florets until just tender about 3-4 min, then drain.
- Cut the fried bacon into small pieces and do the same with the shallots.
- Peel the oranges and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Then mix broccoli, oranges, shallots, bacon and sunflower seeds well and pour the citrus vinaigrette over the salad.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Whisk all the ingredients together. I usually put everything in a glass jar with a lid and shake it well. If I don’t use it all, the remaining vinaigrette can go straight into the fridge for next time.
Substitute the bacon with whole cashew nuts for a vegetarian version. You may want to leave out the sunflower seeds, if using cashews. If you want to cut time, you can use canned mandarins in place of fresh oranges.