This is a classic Lebanese salad loaded with fresh herbs, crunchy pita bread and sumak dressing. It is very simple to put together and incredibly flavorful, fresh and addictive. Especially good on a hot day. A dear Lebanese friend shared her recipe with me, thank you Angela. Angela adds sliced radishes to her fattoush. I didn’t have any, but feel free to add radishes for extra bite.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce (or 2 small ones)
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml chopped mint
- 2 pita breads
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.
- Split the pita breads open and cut into squares and bake until crisp. About 5-7 min. Keep an eye on the pita squares, because they can go from crisp to burned in no time.
- Meanwhile prepare the remaining ingredients by chopping the romaine lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes.
- Chop the fresh herbs.
- Assemble the salad when the pita chips have cooled slightly.
Sumak lemon dressing
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml olive oil
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp powdered sumak
- Whisk the ingredients together or shake them in a jar.
- Season with salt & pepper.
I bought sumak at the Spice Station, a fun, charming, rustic little gem of a store in Silverlake with all the world’s spices and a good selection of teas as well: