When I worked at the Rotunda in San Francisco, they served these huge warm popovers with strawberry butter. You know, instead of the usual bread. They had a full time guy in the kitchen, all he did was bake popovers. Big hit. They are scrumptious. I often serve them with soup. It’s such a great recipe, because they are so easy to make, they look impressive and they are a winner at the table. By the way, they are hollow inside. Just so you know.
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cup /360 ml milk
- 1.5 cup /360 ml flour (preferably bread flour)
- 1 tbsp butter, melted or oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
- Mix all the ingredients well by adding milk, egg, butter and salt first, then 1/2 cup (120 ml) flour at at time. I use a blender when I’m in a hurry otherwise a whisk will do.
- Grease muffin pan well and pour the batter.
- Bake at 450F/230C for 15 min then lower the heat to 350F/175C and continue baking for another 15 min or until the popovers are popped and golden.
- Serve immediately.
Yields 12 large popovers
Add herbs or spices to the dough.